Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Yes, I Am Doing The Spendid Sampler

What usually happens in the quilting world is that something new is released or someone comes up with a new idea and then tons of people get interested and latch onto this! Usually this is always a good thing and The Splendid Sampler by Pat Sloan from Australia is one of these new 'things'. And yes, I jumped on The Splendid Sampler band wagon.

 
Pat Sloan got together with a few of closest quilting friends, these designers created a total of 100 different 6 1/2" blocks and on February 14, 2016 they started releasing 2 blocks per week. I was good at keeping up with the blocks until there were numerous paper piecing being released one after another. Paper piecing is my least favourite quilting technique which I thought had died out in the late 1990s when people released it was too much work and too hard. But The Splendid Sampler has proven to me that paper piecing has not died out and that people are LOVING this technique again. No, I am not one of these people and I have not jumped on this bandwagon!
 

The Splendid Sampler also got me to try a couple techniques that I have been waiting to try. I hadn't ever sewed with selvages and I loved this. I even ended up making a table runner out of selvage blocks. I also tried making hexagons and that worked great too. Not nearly as tedious as I had imaged.
  
 
 
Despite still working on The Splendid Sampler blocks, I have now signed up for the new 150 Canadian Women blocks being designed by Next Steps Quilt Designs in Calgary. I will blog about this one soon!
 
Shona
 


No comments:

Post a Comment