Thursday, December 10, 2015

Leanne Chahley workshop in Inuvik!


Over the years the Inuvik Quilting Guild has always accessed NWT Arts Council funding to support the workshops and intermediate classes that we host each season. In summer 2015, the Guild decided to use our own fundraising dollars and host a summer workshop that was new to the annual calendar. We invited Leanne Chahley to Inuvik (http://www.shecanquilt.ca/) for a weekend of classes, lectures, sharing and a bit of a trunk show.  I continue to be inspired by the tips and techniques of quilting artists but more importantly I am inspired by their stories and their approaches to their quilting. Leanne is so laid back and believes so much is the entire process of quilting and more importantly enjoying the process of creating a quilted piece. She is gentle in her linear quilting designs and has a softness to the finished look of her quilts. I was in awe the entire time. And she is also funny and sarcastic which I also love! We live in a somewhat weird or unknown part of the country it is an honour that quilt artists and sew-ists come to Inuvik and embrace all the uniqueness of our community!
Of course, I used my 2.5 days with Leanne to the full extent and got a ton of sewing done! You can definitely see her weekend’s influence in my projects!





No comments:

Post a Comment